Tuesday, January 12, 2010



My favorite bible story of all comes from 2 Kings 18:20-40. We would all know this story to be the one of the prophet Elijah calling down fire from Heaven as a testimony that there is one true God. I love this story because it reminds me of an essential truth, which is unique to our faith. It is this: our God is a God we can have confidence in. As Elijah taunted the prophets of Baal he did so with complete confidence that God would show up on time, and boy did He. As the fire came down it “consumed the rocks, dust, altar, and licked up the water in the trench”. You see our God is a faithful God.

Two and half years ago I went into the delivery room to be induced. I was having complications and it was time for both the baby’s sake and mine for her to come out. As I went into the operating room for my cesarean, I sang in my heart “Just a closer walk with thee”. I knew as scared as I was for my baby and myself that I could have confidence in my God. A week later and a healthy baby on the rise I was not doing well. At 3:00 in the morning I collapsed in the bathroom with my husband dialing 911. I spent another week in the hospital due to infection running rampant in my blood. The procedure had obviously not gone well.

I might have asked, “Where are you God”, “How could you let this happen?” or I could have accepted that who He says He is I can count on. Just like Elijah, when we feel forlorn and lost we can remember that our God is one we can have confidence in. What He brings us through will only testify to the truth that he is trustworthy and faithful.

Hebrews 4:16 “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

We named our daughter Gracie, it means faithful. Her life verse is Job 36:11.

Jamie Simmons

No comments:

Post a Comment