Tuesday, October 27, 2009




Breast Cancer….What a ride!
As I tell you my story I am mindful of the many lives my testimony may touch. I think of women who have just received those dreaded words…”you have breast cancer.” And I think of women who have lost loved ones to breast cancer and to women who are yet to be diagnosed with breast cancer. As a breast cancer survivor of eleven years I ask myself, “what can I say to you that will make a difference?”
Well, women are possessors of great emotion. We were uniquely and wonderfully designed that way. Our emotions are the common thread we share that weaves its way through our relationships with other women. We share the joy and excitement in our lives and we cry over the losses and suffering in our lives. Our emotions can take us on quite a ride. A diagnosis of breast cancer can set off a cascade of emotions. King David said in Psalm 55:5, “fear and trembling have beset me; horror has overwhelmed me. “ Sounds rather grim but if you read further down David says, BUT, I call to God, and the Lord saves me. Evening, morning, and noon I cry out in distress and He hears my voice, He ransoms me unharmed from the battle waged against me.” David goes on to say, cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you. In Psalm 56 he says, when I am afraid I will trust in you. In Psalm 57 he says, I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
My point is this: The only stabilizer of our emotions is our King Jesus. He is greater than any problem, situation, or diagnosis we will ever face. I could not have faced breast cancer without Jesus. Sadly, I witnessed women suffering from breast cancer without faith in Christ and my heart ached for them. They were afraid and overwhelmed. I shared my hope with these precious women. You see, Jesus is the answer He and He alone makes the difference. So, whether you have breast cancer, have lost someone to breast cancer or down the road may be diagnosed with breast cancer the difference lays in faith in Jesus and putting your trust in Him.
During my treatments I found a verse that especially ministered to me. Phil 4:6 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your minds in Christ Jesus". I visualized our Jesus sitting guard over my mind and heart, knowing he would never leave nor forsake me gave me the courage and strength I needed. Yes, I am a woman of great emotions and I cried. I also laughed and gave praise to the One and Only King Jesus for his marvelous love and compassion and holding me tight in his everlasting arms. He is the anchor of our souls and I can testify that the anchor holds!
In closing please remember that breast cancer is not a death sentence. Early detection saves lives. Have a mammogram every year, starting at least age 40. Practice monthly self exams and see your Doctor for regular breast exams. Also remember most lumps are not cancerous. Every woman is at risk for breast cancer, and your risk increases with age. I’m praying for you!
Under His Wings…I take refuge!
AnnTatarski


If your life has ever been touched personally by breast cancer please leave us a comment of your story or if we can pray for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment